Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another from "The Pioneer Woman Cooks"!
Make and share this Prune Cake With Buttermilk Icing recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup prune
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 F and grease a 9 x 13 in baking pan.
- Place prunes in small saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil; cook until soft and mashable (about 8 min).
- Drain water and mash prunes (ok to leave some chunks behind), set aside.
- For cake, mix together flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice.
- In separate bowl, mix together sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and splash in buttermild.
- Stir until just combined (will be slightly lumpy).
- Add mashed prunes.
- Pour into baking pan and bake at 300 F for 35 to 40 minute.
- When cake has about 5 min left to bake, make icing: combine butter, baking soda, corn syrup, and vanilla in medium saucepan and stir to combine.
- Bring to a slow boil over med-high heat.
- Continue boiling until it turns a light caramel color (5-7 min) -- should be pourable but not firm and sticky.
- Pull cake out of oven.
- While cake is still warm, pour icing evenly over top -- work fast, it will soak into cake quickly.
- Spread to coat evenly and serve immediately.
Made this cake today and it is quite good. It's moist and flavorful, but I'm just not sure about the icing. The cake didn't absorb it as quickly as the recipe mentioned. Not sure if I should have poked holes in the cake or not. We tried it warm out of the oven as directed, but I'm curious to see how it will taste once the icing and cake have cooled. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup, February, 2014.
I made this recipe for Christmas brunch and he family raved about it. So, I took it to a church breakfast and got raves again. This is a moist flavorful cake. Don't let the prunes put you out. This is a cake to die for.