Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is from Good Housekeeping Complete Christmas. Its a great tart for Christmas as all the wonderful festive flavours are there but its a bit different to the usual mincemeat pies. My mum raves about it.
- 175 g plain white flour
- 225 g butter
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1 orange, juice and zest of, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 225 g pitted no-soak prunes
- 1 apple (eating)
- 60 ml calvados
- 225 g ground almonds
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 25 g slivered almonds (or flaked)
- 125 g apricot jam
- Heat the oven to 190C / 375°F.
- Process 125g diced chilled butter, 25g caster sugar and the grated orange rind in a food processor until it resembles breadcrumbs. Turn into a bowl.
- Mix 30ml water and the egg yolk, blend into the mixtureand knead lightly to form a ball; wrap and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Roughly chop the prunes, grate the apple and pour over the Calvados.
- Melt the remaining butter and mix with the ground almonds, beaten eggs and remaining caster sugar.
- Roll the pastry thinly and line 23 cm (9inch) round 4cm (11/4inch) deep, loose based, fluted flan tin. Bake blind until set.
- Add the prunes and apple to the almond mixture and spoon into the flan case. Sprinkle with slivered almonds and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Leave to cool for about 20 minutes.
- Melt the jam with 15ml (1tbsp) orange juice, when bubbling, sieve, then brush over the top of the tart.
- Serve warm or cold with Greek yogurt or creme fraiche.