Recipe by Lou
Believe it or not, these things are good! Don't call them prune muffins, call them Pruffins! Taken from "the sourdough cookbook", by Rita Davenport. (I love this book!)
- 1 cup whole all-bran cereal
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sourdough starter
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 12 pitted prunes
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper liners; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine cereal and milk. Let stand 15 minutes, or til most of milk is absorbed.
- Beat in egg, oil, sourdough starter and honey.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir into sourdough mixture until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Spoon 1/2 teaspoon melted butter into each prepared muffin cup. Add 1 teaspoon brown sugar and 1 prune to each muffin cup. Fill cups 2/3 to 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake 18 to 25 minutes or til tops are golden brown.
- Place a rack over top of cooked muffins. Invert rack and muffin pan. Remove pan. makes 18 to 25 muffins.