Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a chicken recipe that can be partly made ahead of time. Started on the stovetop and finished in the oven.
- 2 ounces thinly slices pancetta, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1⁄3 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1⁄3 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook and stir pancetta in small nonstick skillet over medium heat 4 minutes or until fat begins to render.
- Add shallots; cook and stir 3 minutes or until pancetta is lightly browned and shallots are soft.
- Stir in bread crumbs and sage; cook 1 minute or until crumbs are lightly browned.
- Place in a bowl; cool slightly.
- Stir in cheese.
- With a small knife cut large horizontal pocket in chicken, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Fill each pocket with about 1/4 cup stuffing; secure with toothpicks.
- **Chicken can be made to this point 8 hours ahead; cover and refrigerate**.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add oil; heat until hot.
- Cook chicken 5 minutes or until browned, adjusting heat if necessary.
- Turn; place on small foil-lined rimmed baking sheet (reserve skillet).
- Bake 5-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Meanwhile, remove any dripping from skillet
- Heat skillet over hight heat until hot.
- Add vinegar; boil 1 minute or until reduced by half and slightly syrupy.
- Add broth; boil 2 minutes or until reduced by half and slightly syrupy.
- Remove from heat; whisk in butter.
- Lightly spoon sauce over chicken; pass remaining sauce.
This dish did not have the flavors I was hoping for. It was rather bland, in my opinion. I followed the directions with the exception of pounding out the breasts & rolling, then securing with a toothpick while browning. I removed the toothpick to bake. Served with buttered egg noodles. No rating given, as I will not be making again, sorry. I was so hopeful.
Absolutely delicious! I forgot to add the cheese to the stuffing, so that's why it's sitting on top of the chicken in the photo. LoL! I also didn't use a toothpick to close, hence you can see all the stuffing in the cavity. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag game. :)
WOW! This was a great meal. Restaurant quality all the way. I'll be making this again. Thank you!