Recipe by GaylaJ
The fresh garlic, butter and Provolone make this bread a real test of my self-control--I could make an entire meal out of it. I like to use the sliced cheese, as opposed to shredded, because of the even & full coverage it gives. ;)
Top Review by Bobbie
Five stars -- and more if I could!!! What a wonderful bread. And it's very easy to put together and can be prepared ahead of time, wrapped in foil and refrigerated until ready to bake. The Worchestershire is a very nice addition. It's a nice buttery garlic bread -- with that wonderful cheese on top. I would highly recommend this recipe.
- 1⁄4 lb butter, softened
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (1 lb) Italian bread (or Vienna bread)
- 1⁄2 lb sliced provolone cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix butter with garlic and Worcestershire sauce, set aside.
- Halve bread horizontally. Slice each half piece of bread crosswise into serving size pieces, cutting only three-fourths of the way to the bottom (do not cut bread into individual pieces).
- Place each half piece of bread on a baking sheet, crust side down.
- Spread all cut surfaces (including between the crosswise cuts you made) with the garlic-butter mixture.
- Cut or tear the cheese into pieces that will fit to cover the entire surface of both halves of bread.
- Bake until cheese melts and lightly browns, about 20 minutes.