Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The fresh garlic, butter and Provolone make this bread a real test of my self-control--I could make an entire meal out of it. I like to use the sliced cheese, as opposed to shredded, because of the even & full coverage it gives. ;)
- 1⁄4 lb butter, softened
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (1 lb) Italian bread (or Vienna bread)
- 1⁄2 lb sliced provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix butter with garlic and Worcestershire sauce, set aside.
- Halve bread horizontally. Slice each half piece of bread crosswise into serving size pieces, cutting only three-fourths of the way to the bottom (do not cut bread into individual pieces).
- Place each half piece of bread on a baking sheet, crust side down.
- Spread all cut surfaces (including between the crosswise cuts you made) with the garlic-butter mixture.
- Cut or tear the cheese into pieces that will fit to cover the entire surface of both halves of bread.
- Bake until cheese melts and lightly browns, about 20 minutes.
Five stars -- and more if I could!!! What a wonderful bread. And it's very easy to put together and can be prepared ahead of time, wrapped in foil and refrigerated until ready to bake. The Worchestershire is a very nice addition. It's a nice buttery garlic bread -- with that wonderful cheese on top. I would highly recommend this recipe.
We weren't really impressed with this bread. I doubt I'll make it again. I did like the addition of the Worchestershire Sauce to the butter, but that was about it.
This outstanding garlic bread was a hit. We loved the combination of the butter, garlic and worcestershire sauce and the melted cheese on top. It just doesn't get any better than this. Thanks so much for sharing, GaylaJ. It's a winner.