Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
The flavours of cheese, pepper and sage really shine through in this great cheese loaf. The taste is delicious, and very moist may I add. This is great served up with a soup and salad, I always make two of these loaves for my family.
Top Review by NcMysteryShopper
Great bread! Served it with Recipe #187266. This bread would be great with roasted chicken!!! Fantastic recipe, I cannot believe more people have not tried it! Thanks Kitz!
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal, plus
- 1 cup cornmeal, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- set oven to 350 degrees, (second lowest rack).
- grease a 8x4 baking pan.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp.
- cornmeal on the bottom and sides of loaf pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sage, baking powder, salt, pepper, baking soda, cayenne if desired, and remaining cornmeal.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk and oil.
- Stir into dry ingredients, just until moistened.
- Fold in cheese.
- Pour into pan, bake for 40-50 mins, or until loaf test done.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.