Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Make-ahead layered cheese spread, great on baguettes or crakers! Easy, pretty, and tastes wonderful. My daughter begs me to make when we have a large gathering. Serves LOTS!!!
- 8 -12 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature (1 stick)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- French baguettes or cracker
- grapes, if desired
- Line an 8-inch-square pan with plastic wrap, extending the ends of the wrap over the edges of the pan.
- Line the pan with the provolone cheese (reserve a few slices for another layer of the torte), overlapping the slices a bit and pressing the edges together slightly. The cheese should extend over the edges of the pan enough that it can help encase the finished torte layers.
- Using a food processor, mix together the cram cheese, butter and garlic. Spread the ingredients in layers in the following order: one-third of the mixture, one-half of the pesto, a layer of provolone, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, one-third of the mixture, the remaining pesto, and the remaining mixture.
- Fold the sides of the cheese over the mixture to encase it, using another slice in the middle, if needed. Fold the edges of plastic wrap over the finished cheese torte, covering tightly. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- To serve, invert the mold onto a cutting board, remove the plastic wrap and cut the torte diagonally into halves or fourths. Serve with crackers or baguette slices.
- Red and green grapes make a good accompaniment.