Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
- 1⁄4 cup shredded provolone cheese, preferably aged
- 3 tablespoons chopped olives
- to taste fresh ground pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1-1 1/4 lb. total)
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Lightly coat a baking sheet with sides with cooking spray.
- Combine the provolone, olives and pepper in a small bowl.
- Lightly beat the egg white with a fork in a medium bowl.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and salt in a shallow dish.
- Cut a horizontal slit along the thin, long edge of a chicken breast half, nearly through to the opposite side.
- Open up each breast and place one-fourth of the cheese filling in the center.
- Close the breast over the filling, pressing the edges pressing firmly together to seal.
- Repeat with remaining chicken breasts and filling.
- Hold each chicken breast half together and dip in egg white, then dredge in breadcrumbs. (Discard leftovers.)
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to the prepared baking sheet, browned-side up, and bake until it is no longer pink in the center or until an instant-read thermometer registers 170°F, about 20 minutes.