Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Fom "Seven Fires" Argentine grilling book by Francis Mallmann. My husband liked this a lot, but it was the only animal protein at dinner and he could live on cheese alone. I liked it, but it won't work as a spread on bread. I preferred it the following day sliced thin as a snack. It's a lot like grilled halloumi cheese, but Provolone is easier to find. You could use one tablespoon dried oregaano instead.
- 8 ounces provolone cheese (1 inch thick slice)
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, preferably small ones
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Heat a cast iron griddle over low heat until a drop of water sizzles on the surface.
- Sprinkle the cheese with half the oregano and half the pepper flakes, then put it on the griddle, seasoned side down.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, until you see the bottom starting to brown and melt, then turn it ov er with a wide spatula and cook until the second side starts to brown and the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with the remainig oregano and pepper flakes, and serve.