Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This salad tastes best the day it is made. The wheat berries will absorb some of the dressing, but you will still probably have some leftover. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week. The wheat berries will take up to 90 minutes to cook properly - you can make them up to a day ahead of time and store in the refrigerator.
- 1 cup wheat berries
- kosher salt
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained halved and thinly sliced
- 8 ounces grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, peeled deveined and halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Mustard Caper Vinaigrette
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic clove, minced
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine wheat berries, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and enough water to cover berries by 2 inches; bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to a slow simmer, partially cover, and cook until wheat is tender and chewy, 50 to 90 hours.
- Drain wheat well and spread out on a baking sheet to cool and dry.
- Bring another large saucepan of salted water to a boil and cook the green beans until tender, 4 to 8 minutes (if using frozen product, they do not need to be cooked); drain on a clean dish towel.
- Once cooled, cut into 1/2 to 3/4-inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together all the ingredients OR place them all in a lidded glass jar and shake to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine wheat berries, green beans, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, 3/4 of the almonds, chopped herbs, pepper and 1/3 cup of the vinaigrette; toss well.
- Season the shrimp with salt; heat olive oil in a skillet over high heat.
- Cook on one side 1 to 2 minutes; flip shrimp and cook a minute on the other side until shrimps curl and are opaque.
- Toss shrimp into salad and sprinkle with remaining almonds.