Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Healthy and hearty, this savory soup delivers protein – and veggies galore! This waistline-friendly, flavorful sensation is the perfect start to a meal, or main-dish classic that can be enjoyed all year round.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small leek, white part only, washed and finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 8 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup canned navy beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can new potatoes, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, no-salt added
- 1 (8 ounce) cansliced carrots, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can cut green beans, drained
- 2 ounces dry pasta, such as vermicelli, broken into small pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, leek, celery and zucchini. Cook and stir until the vegetables are softened, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the broth and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover; simmer for 15 minutes. Add the potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, green beans and pasta, and cover. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked through. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and spoon a little of the pesto into each serving.
- Adapted from "Get with the Program! Guide to Good Eating!" by Bob Greene. Copyright 2003 by Bob Greene. Published by Simon & Schuster, Inc., N.Y. Reprinted by permission.