1/1 Photo of Provencal Vegetable Soup
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is a traditional soup of Provence. Don't omit the pistou as this gives this dish a wonderful scent and color. Preparation time depends if using fresh or dried. If dried beans, soak overnight. An extra 30 min boiling time as stated in the procedure would be needed. Posted for ZWT5.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups fresh broad beans, shelled or 3/4 cup dried haricot beans, soaked overnight
- 1/2 teaspoon dried herbes de provence
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large leek, finely sliced (or 2 small)
- 1 celery rib, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 small potatoes, finely diced
- 4 ounces French beans
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup shelled garden peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 small courgettes, finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- handful spinach leaves, cut into thin ribbbons
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 1 sprig fresh basil, to garnish
For the Pistou
- 1To make the pistou: mix in the food processor the 1st 3 pistou ingredients until smooth, adding the extra virgin oil last.
- 2To make the soup: if using dried haricot beans,place in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a hard boil for 10 mins and drain. Place the par-boiled beans, or fresh beans if using, in a saucepan with the herbes de Provence and one of the garlic cloves. Add water to cover by 2.5 cm./1in. Boil, reduce heat and simmer over a medium low heat until tender, about 20 minuters for fresh breans and about 1 hour for dried beans. Set aside in the cooking liquid.
- 3In a large saucepan or flameproof casserole heat the oil. Add onion and leeks, cook for 5 minutes, stir occasionally, until onion softens.
- 4Add celery, carrots and the other garlic clove and cook, covered for 10 minutes, stirring.
- 5Add potatoes, French beans and water, then season lighlty with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, skim any foam that rises to the surface, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 6Add courgettes, tomatoes and peas together with the reserved beans and their cooking liquid and simmer for 25-30mins, or until all the vegetables are tender. Add the spinach and simmer for 5 minutes. Season the soup and swirl a spoonful of pistou into each bowl. Garnish with basil and serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Provencal Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 337.7
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 2.9 mg
- Sodium 383.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 12.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence