Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Barefoot in Paris, posted for ZWT III, France. NOTE: The recipe calls for 1 Cup Pistou, which can be found here - Barefoot Contessa's Pistou (the recipe editor wouldn't accept it as an ingredient)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 473.18 ml chopped onions
- 473.18 ml chopped leeks, white and light green parts
- 709.77 ml unpeeled boiling potatoes, 1/2 inch diced
- 709.77 ml diced carrots
- 22.18 ml kosher salt
- 4.92 ml fresh pepper
- 2838.0 ml chicken stock
- 4.92 ml saffron
- 226.79 g French haricots vert, cut in half
- 113.39 g spaghetti, broken in pieces
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- heat the olive oil in a large stockpot, add the onions, and sauté over low heat for 10 min or till the onions are translucent.
- Add the leeks, potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper and sauté over med heat for another 5 minutes add the chicken stock and saffron, bring to a boil then simmer uncovered for 30 min or till all the vegetables are tender. Add the haricots verts and spaghetti, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 more minutes.
- To serve whisk ¼ cup of the pistou (see note above) into the hot soup, then season to taste.
- Depending on the saltiness of your chicken stock, you may need to add up to another T of salt.
- Serve with parmesan and more pistou.
Excellent soup! Even DD loved it. I made it almost as written. I didn't have enough carrots so added frozen mixed veggies. I couldn't find French haricots vert so used frozen whole green beans. I served it with Barefoot Contessa's Pistou.
This was pretty good. I couldn't find leeks at the store, so I added a little celery instead, and I wasn't sure that the full 3 qts of stock was going to fit in my stockpot with everything else, so I waited until I put the beans and spaghetti in to add the last quart, good thing I did 'cause I was about 1 cup short of everything fitting. This makes a ton. Between 5 adults we ate about half of it, so I would halve the recipe if I make it again. Thanks.