Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is an interesting healthy dish. You could add chicken to make it a full meal, but I think its better left alone as is.
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for dish
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, torn
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 5 -6 medium plum tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 medium summer squash, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 7 by 11-inch baking dish with olive oil.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium low heat.
- Add onions, garlic and 1 teaspoon of the salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until completely softened and cooked but not browned.
- Stir in the basil and thyme. Spread on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Toss the sliced vegetables with the remaining olive oil and salt, and pepper.
- With the long side of the baking dish facing you, alternate the sliced vegetables in compact upright rows on top of the onion mixture.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until the vegetables are softened, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Continue baking until cheese begins to brown, about 20 minutes or so. Serve hot or at room temperature.