Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great on extra-thick pork chops, but put it on any chop or steak bound for frying pan or grill. Adapted from Fine Cooking #5 (October/November 1994). The spice rub freezes well - we almost always have some in a ziplock bag in the freezer.
- 2 lemons, zest of, whole
- 1⁄3 cup garlic, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh rosemary leaf
- 1⁄4 cup fresh sage
- 1⁄3 cup kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup pepper, freshly ground
- I usually use a bit less salt. 1/3 cup of garlic is about one average head.
- In a food processor, put in the lemon zest with the motor going and then add the rest of the ingredients. Process briefly until the mixture is the consistency of wet sand.
- Use of rub on pork chops: Put 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (or more) of rub on center-cut pork chops on the bone (preferably 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick). Sear chops in a HOT cast-iron skillet with a teaspoon or so of oil, 1-2 minutes/side. Then place in a pre-heated 400°F oven for: 6-8 minutes (1/2" chops) 10-12 minutes (1-1 1/2" chops). Per leecooks1, take them out when an instant-read thermometer should read 140F for chops that are still a bit pink.
- Let rest ~5 minutes before serving.