Recipe by AmandaInOz
From Diana Henry's Crazy Water, Pickled Lemons.
Top Review by The Flying Chef
All I can say is WOW!! We loved this I did not make with a leg of lamb as I was only making for 2 and am testing recipes for Christmas. I used lamb fillets sliced very carefully down the centre without going all the way through. I then pounded with a meat mallet and put stuffing down the centre and rolled. This is definitely going on my Christmas menu and I can not wait to try this with a whole leg of lamb. I served mine over parsnip mash with fresh vegetables and gravy. My god I can not praise this enough it is one of the best stuffing's I have ever served with lamb, even if it was not with the full leg as stated. A perfect lamb recipe Amanda
- 4 lbs leg of lamb (boned weight)
- salt and pepper
For the stuffing
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 3⁄4 ounces walnut pieces
- 2 1⁄4 ounces breadcrumbs
- 5 1⁄2 ounces goat's cheese
- 8 fresh figs, quartered
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Trim the lamb of excess fat. Open it out flat and season the inside with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan, and cook the onion until soft. Toast the walnuts in a dry pan until just turning brown. Break the goat's cheese into little nuggets.
- Gently mix all the stuffing ingredients together, bind with the egg and season with salt and pepper. Spread the stuffing on the opened piece of lamb. Roll it up and tie at intervals with string.
- Season the outside of the lamb with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to 375 degrees F, and cook for another hour, then serve- the lamb will be pink.