Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This can be doubled or tripled.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed and cut into slices 1/16 inch thick
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into thin slices
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil and tomato paste.
- Add the potato slices, tossing to cover evenly.
- In an 8-inch ovenproof skillet, layer the potatoes around the outside and in the center.
- Slide the tomato slices evenly between the sliced potatoes.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper, and heat the pan on top of the stove at medium-high heat until crackling noises are heard, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to the oven to bake until the slices are slightly crisp and the potato is tender when pierced with a knife, about 25 minutes.
- Remove, sprinkle on the parmesan cheese and run the dish under the broiler just until the cheese is lightly colored, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, watching carefully.
- Remove and sprinkle on the parsley, and serve.