Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I haven't made this recipe yet. I posted it for the Zaar World Tour 2006. I found the recipe in "The Essential Mediterranean Cookbook".
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 ounces streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 lb potato, thinly sliced
- 1 ounce butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the bacon over medium heat until starting to brown. Add the onion and thyme and cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Transfer to a large bowl, add the potato, season with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Thransfer the mixture to a 7-inch round cake tin and press down well. Dot with the butter. Place a piece of doubledd baking paper over the toip and place a weight, such as a ramekin or a smaller cake tin, over the paper.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the weight and the paper and cook for another 20-25 minutes (or until the potato is tender and lightly golden).
- Leave to rest for 20 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the tin and turn out the galette.
Yum! I had to use dried thyme, as I had no fresh on hand, but it was delicious. A bit on the greasy side, next time I think I'll cook the bacon a bit more crispy and drain the fat off better.
Flavour to savour, this is true! Hubby gave it 5 stars plus too! Used diced up low fat bacon as had on hand for the day, Next time will just put it into potato mixture to cook that way! No need to pre-cook and no grease, so can stay healthy recipe! Easy to do, is a keeper for entertaining, for hubby and me! Thanks!
This was delicious! Fatty? Yes, but worth it! I served this with my Easter Ham dinner and got rave reviews from my IN-LAWS! LOL I used a borrowed mandoline slicer for the onions and potatoes which made it a snap to put together. I also used kitchen shears to cut up the bacon before frying. Oh and I DID NOT drain the bacon grease and I used the entire pkg (12 oz)! It was yummy! Thanks for posting!