1/2 Photos of Provencal Pasta With Basil and Anchovy
Chef Kate's Note:
This lovely dish -- Pates au Pistou a l'Anchois -- is by way of Richard Olney in "Lulu's Provencal Kitchen." It is a not uncommon way to serve pasta in the south of France where, as here in the States, most dried pasta is imported from Italy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1.23 ml coarse salt
- 1.23 ml fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 12 anchovy fillets, drained (if using salt-packed anchovies, use 6 and split each one after saoking off the excess salt)
- 236.59 ml fresh basil leaf, packed
- 158.51 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 453.59 g dry pasta (penne, farfalle or the like)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a full boil and add the pastam cooking tll al dente (for penne, about 12 minutes).
- 2On a cutting board, sprinkle the crushed garlic cloves with the salt and pepper.
- 3Using the back of a fork, mash the garlic into a paste.
- 4Add the anchovies and keep mashing.
- 5Scrape the paste into a mortar, add the basil, and begin pounding with a wooden pestle until the mixture resembles a puree.
- 6Now, add the oil slowly, pounding all the while with your pestle.
- 7Note: You can do this in a blender or food processor, but purists (like myself) will tell you that the pistou will not taste or look the same if the basil is chopped with a blade.
- 8When your pasta is ready, place your serving bowl (heat-proof)in the sink.
- 9Drain your pasta, allowing the pasta water to warm your serving bowl.
- 10Place the pasta in the bowl, add the pistou and toss well.
- 11Serve accompanied by freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Provencal Pasta With Basil and Anchovy
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.3
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 6.8 mg
- Sodium 395.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 12.5 g