Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A fantastic vegetarian stew/soup that pairs well with rice and a salad for a very satisfying light meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced (use 1 box white mushrooms & 1 portobello)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crushed dried thyme (or 2 teaspoons fresh)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, chopped (reserve liquid)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans cannellini beans, washed & drained
- fresh ground pepper
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, and thyme; cook & stir until onion is clear & mushrooms are slightly golden - about ten minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes and their liquid, and wine. Bring to a boil; cover, lower heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes (or more if deeper color & flavor are desired). Remove about one cup beans after draining them & put in a small bowl; mash until smooth. Add to the stew & mix well to thicken. Stir in the remaining whole beans and heat through. Serve hot with fresh ground pepper to taste.