Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from "The Way to Cook," by the much-beloved Julia.
For the stock
- 2 heads garlic, broken into individual cloves, unpeeled and smashed
- 8 cups water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 -8 sprigs parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- kosher salt or good medium-grind sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
For the thickener
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
For the garnish
- 1 slice French bread, toasted
- shredded gruyere or parmesan cheese or swiss cheese
- Combine all the ingredients for the stock in a pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer partially covered for 30 minutes. Strain the stock, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Discard the solids and return the stock to the pot, keeping it at a simmer.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl until thick and sticky.
- Adding the olive oil a few drops at a time, continue whisking to form a mayonnaise.
- Immediately before serving, whisk a ladleful of the hot stock into the egg mixture, then whisk the egg mixture into the stock - do not boil.
- Garnish by floating a slice or two of toasted French bread topped with shredded cheese in the soup.