Recipe by Chabear01
Recipe is from "Home Cooking" Magazine. Stuffed with flecks of Mediterranean herbs, pepper and shredded cheddar cheese, this hearty loaf needs only a simple salad or hot bowl of soup to make a satisfying supper.
Top Review by lauralie41
Wonderful bread with very good flavor. I also made this in my bread machine as I am not the best at making bread yet. Omitted the egg wash and the last 1/4 cup of cheese because I went ahead and added it to the dough mixture. Served with ChaCha's Recipe #169355 for supper tonight. Made and reviewed for Kitten's Chef Pick Tag Game.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 1⁄4-4 cups flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sprinkle yeast over 1/4 cup of the warm water (105 degrees) in a glass measuring cup; stir in 1 teaspoon of sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes; mixture will be foamy.
- In a large bowl, stir together 3 1/4 cup flour, salt, rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, sage, pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Pour yeast mixture into flour mixture. Add remaining 1 cup warm water and the olive oil, stir to form a ball. Mix in 3/4 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Turn onto a well-floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes, adding additional flour as needed until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Grease large bowl with a little additional olive oil. Place dough in bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, until doubled in size. Punch dough down.
- Roll out dough into a 20 x 8-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Roll up from a short side. Fold ends under loaf and place seam side down in a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 5/8 - inch loaf pan. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for an additional hour.
- Brush top of loaf with the egg wash. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake for 35 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan to rack. Cool.