1 hr 15 mins
Food & Wine. WINE: Pinot Noir Los or consider an Italian wine, such as Chianti Classico Riserva.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme, plus
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, plus
- 1 small fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 teaspoon lavender, plus
- 1 sprig fresh lavender
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) roasting chickens, wing tips removed
- 1 lemon, juice of, squeezed into a bowl, halves reserved
- 6 unpeeled garlic cloves, lightly smashed
- 1 cup water
- 1Preheat the oven to 450°. In a small bowl, combine the chopped thyme, rosemary and lavender leaves with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- 2Carefully loosen the skin over the chicken breast and legs; don't tear the skin. Gently work the herb paste under the skin, spreading it all over the breast and legs.
- 3Season the cavity with salt and pepper and stuff with the reserved lemon halves, garlic cloves and herb sprigs.
- 4Set the chicken in a medium flameproof roasting pan and rub the skin with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 5Drizzle with half of the lemon juice and season generously with salt and pepper.
- 6Roast the chicken for 20 minutes. Drizzle with the remaining lemon juice, then reduce the oven temperature to 350° and roast for about 40 minutes longer, or until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced; baste once or twice during cooking.
- 7Cover the bird loosely with foil if it browns too quickly. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- 8Spoon off the fat from the roasting pan and set the pan on 2 burners over moderately high heat.
- 9Add the water and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Boil the sauce until reduced to 3/4 cup, then strain and serve with the chicken.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Provençal Herb and Lemon Roasted Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 684.2
- Calories from Fat 488
- Total Fat 54.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 177.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 44.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: