3 hrs 30 mins
A terrific short rib recipe, from starchefs lifting them from the pedestrian to the special. Overnight marinade not included in the times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 (6 ounce) short rib of beef, 6 ounces each
- 2 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1/2 cup cognac
- 3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 orange, zest of
- vegetable oil
- 1/4 lb smoked bacon, diced
- 8 shallots, peeled and cut in half through the root
- 12 whole heads garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth (homemade or canned)
- 1/4 cup pitted black olives
- 5 anchovies, rinsed
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup penne or 1 cup ziti pasta
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Bring all the marinade ingredients to a boil and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. Toss the ribs with the marinade and marinate overnight in a non-corrosive container.
- 2Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 3Heat 1/8-inch olive oil in a large ovenproof casserole over high heat. Pat the ribs dry and season well with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with flour. Sear on both sides in the oil until brown. Transfer to a platter. Add the bacon and render. Transfer to the platter with the ribs. Add the whole shallots and garlic and brown. Add the tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Add the marinade and reduce by three-quarters. Add the chicken stock, olives, anchovies and fresh thyme sprigs. Return the ribs to the casserole. Cover the braise with a piece of aluminum foil touching the ribs. Cover the casserole with the top and braise in the oven for 2 1/2 hours, or until the meat begins to fall off the bone.
- 4Transfer the ribs to a platter. Skim the fat from the surface of the braising juices and reduce the juices if necessary to form a sauce.
- 5Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne or ziti and cook until al dente. Drain.
- 6Toss the cooked pasta with half of the braising juices. Put a spoonful of the pasta on each of the four warm plates. Top with a tablespoon or so of grated Parmesan cheese. Put two ribs on each plate, cover with a spoonful of braising juices, and sprinkle with some parsley.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Provençal-Braised Beef Short Ribs W/ Orange & Olives
Serving Size: 1 (894 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1849.7
- Calories from Fat 1266
- Total Fat 140.6 g
- Saturated Fat 59.5 g
- Cholesterol 301.5 mg
- Sodium 1281.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 70.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of