1/3 Photos of Provençal Beef Stew
1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from the Wisconsin Beef Council.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch pieces or 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes with garlic, diced, undrained
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 1 lb new potato, cut into quarters
- 2 small zucchini (cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices)
- 2 small yellow squash (cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices)
- 1/2 cup nicoise olives or 1/2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and cut in half
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Combine flour, salt and pepper. Reserve 1 tablespoon flour mixture and set side.
- 2Lightly coat beef with larger amount of flour mixture.
- 3Heat 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/2 of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and remaining beef. Remove beef from stockpot.
- 4Add onion and garlic to stockpot; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are tender.
- 5Add wine; increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved.
- 6Stir in broth, tomatoes, herbes de Provence and reserved flour mixture.
- 7Return beef to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- 8Add potatoes, zucchini and yellow squash to stockpot; continue simmering, covered, 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 9Add olives and basil; cook, uncovered, 2 to 3 minutes or until olives are heated through.
- 10Serve with parmesan cheese, if desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Provençal Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 585.2
- Calories from Fat 296
- Total Fat 32.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 104.3 mg
- Sodium 1034.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 36.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomatoes with garlic
herbes de provence