Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My aunt makes this whenever we have a family get together, it's the perfect dessert for summer time too - creamy on the bottom, with a layer of refreshing Jello mixed with whip cream on top. I was always surprised as a child when after cooling the dish the Jello layer turned into two separate ones, red and pink because of the whip cream.
- Mix together the sweetened condensed milk, milk, egg yolks, and corn starch. Cook the mixture over low heat until it becomes a thick cream. Set it aside and let cool.
- Mix the Jell-o powder with one cup of hot water, after it has dissolved completely add the cold water.
- Beat the egg whites together with the sugar in a mixer at high speed until if forms stiff peaks (may take a while).
- Mix the Jell-o with the egg white mixture.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13 with the thick cream. Add the Jell-o and egg white mixture as a second layer, and refrigerate until completely set.
- (The Jello and egg white mixture will separate a bit turning into two different layers - a second Jell-o layer and a third frothy pink layer) --really interesting how this looks in the end.