Prep 1 min
Cook 2 mins
a lower carb, higher protein version of the old breakfast favourite I made it up to try to increase the healthiness of porridge, now I couldnt go back to the plain porridge I used to eat
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon psyllium
- 1 tablespoon protein powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon full cream milk powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup water
- mix all ingredients in a saucepan.
- bring to the boil, simmer for 1 - 2 minutes (5 minutes if using rolled oats instead of quick cooking ones).
- then serve in a bowl with your choice of cream, milk and sweeteners.
- So simple.
This is quite good if you use whole psyllium seeds, not husks. I wasn't sure whether the recipe meant husks or seeds, so I tried both. With one tablespoon husks I got a terrible glue the texture of which I did not like at all. Then I tried a second batch with psyllium seeds which was okay. I liked the idea of adding psyllium for some extra fibre, but next time I think I'll prefer the addition of some ground flax seeds. For the milk powder I used powdered almond milk and for the protein I used whey protein. Also I added some dried cranberries. Thanks for posting! Made for Healthy Choices ABC.