Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These complete protein snacks can be whipped up quickly using store cupboard ingredients. The recipe is easily doubled. To dry roast seeds or nuts, leave in a shallow pan over low heat and gently shake pan until they are coloured and aromatic. Instant potato flakes are convenient for absorbing excess moisture in patties or for thickening soups or stews – add in increments to achieve a manageable consistency. Serve hot with your favourite sauce or dressing. Found on the stuff.co.nz website.
- 1⁄4 cup instant potato flakes
- 1⁄4 cup polenta, fine, approximately, for coating
- oil, for cooking
- 250 g tofu, rinsed and drained
- 1 (400 g) can haricot beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds, dry roasted and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh herbs, parsley, basil, coriander or curry paste
- mixed vegetables, 1 cup finely chopped or grated
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- sun-dried tomato, chopped
- Set aside the instant potato flakes, fine polenta and oil for cooking.
- In a large mixing bowl place remaining ingredients – mash to combine with potato masher.
- Gradually mix in potato flakes to achieve a manageable mix which can be shaped into patties.
- Coat patties in fine polenta.
- Brush all the patties with oil then fry, bake, or barbecue as desired.