Recipe by Protein Crazy
This recipe yields about 14 medium sized, delicious, high protein, pancakes; using the optional vital wheat gluten allows for a much fluffier pancake. I add the non-flavored, sugar-free, fiber supplement for just a bit more fiber. If you choose to refrigerate the left-overs you should consume them in 7 days or less; freezing will allow for more time. When frozen, I allow them to thaw overnight in the fridge and then re-heat them in the microwave on high for about 2 minutes per 2 pancakes. Enjoy!
- 1 cup whole oats (Equal Weight) or 1 cup whole grain oat flour (Equal Weight)
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar-free fiber supplement (Non-Flavored) (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 cups protein powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar-free preserves (Strawberry, Apricot etc...)
- 5 teaspoons unsalted natural-style peanut butter or 5 teaspoons nut oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg substitute or 1 1⁄2 cups egg whites
- 3 cups fat-free buttermilk or 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind the oats in a food processor, or equivalent, to a medium/fine texture.
- Mix the first 9 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the last 5 ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Combine all the ingredients into one bowl and hand whisk them together (Do not use a mixer).
- Mixing vigorously will cause the pancakes to be more flat and dense; ideally your mix should have a nice thick semi-smooth texture.
- Warm a skillet, or griddle, to 275-300 degrees (approx. med/high on a stove top).
- Apply a 1/2 cup of the pancake mix for each pancake.
- Use a pancake dispenser or a measuring cup to transfer the pancake mix from the bowl to the cooking surface.
- Cook each pancake for approximately 6 minutes, flipping half way through (approx. 3 minutes per side).
- Repeat steps 7-9 until all the pancake mix is used (yields approximately 14 medium sized pancakes).
- Let each pancake cool for a minimum of 1-2 minutes and serve.
- Add sugar free syrup, as desired, for a low calorie topping (approx. 35 calories per 1/4 cup).
- Refrigerate or freeze the left-overs.