Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my compilation/adaptation of many granola bar recipes. I tried to make these low calorie and high protein, but non-splenda products (syrup and brown sugar) can be used. Any type of dried fruits can be used, but I highly recommend using cranberries, raisins, and dates. I want to attempt using a jam either on top or in the mixture, but I haven't tried yet. Let me know what you add/substitute so I can give it a try too. Recipezaar doesn't have all the ingredients in their database, so my calculations are: calories 171.4 per serving, protein 10 grams per serving.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar-free maple syrup (Splenda)
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄8 cup water
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam (no sugar added)
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 1⁄3 cup protein powder
- 2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend (packed)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 dash dried ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup steel cut oats
- 1⁄4 cup pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup nuts (chopped, I use soy nuts in a coffee grinder)
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 1⁄2 cups Kashi Golean cereal (or other puffed grains)
- 6 ounces dried fruit
- cooking spray
- Put first 3 ingredients (up to 1/8 cup water) into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the next 8 ingredients (up to 1/4 teaspoon salt).
- Set aside or put into fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the next 5 ingredients (oats, pepitas, almonds, soy nuts, wheat germ) on a cookie sheet and toast in oven for 10 minutes, stir after 5 minutes.
- Mix toasted ingredients, chopped fruit, GoLean cereal, and the mixture in the fridge thoroughly (easiest to do with your hands).
- Grease either a cookie sheet or muffin pan with calorie-free cooking spray.
- Either hand-form mixture into 15 well compressed equal sized cakes and put onto the cookie sheet, or compress into 12 to 16 muffin tins.
- Reduce heat to 300 degrees.
- Cook for 25 minutes.
- Let cool and individually wrap for fridge or freezer.