1/2 Photos of Proserpina's Revenge by Hell's Belles (Granita and Sorbetto Duo)
4 hrs 20 mins
Mama Cee Jay's Note:
Revenge is a dish best served cold. In this case its is a Lemon Pear Granita with Pomengranate Strawberry Sorbet. On their anniversary each year in Hades, Proserpina bids her servants, Hell's Belles, to prepare this tasty and devilicious dessert so that she may serve it to her mate, Pluto. Pluto consequently gets a bit tipsy from the various alcoholic ingredients, so that Proserpina is then able to escape for some time and go up and visit her mother Ceres, Earth Goddess. Invariably they spend time hiking, swimming, gardening, cooking and creating new recipes until it is time for Prosepina to retreat to the underworld and back to catering to the whims of Pluto. Being Goddess of the Underworld is no easy task, but fortunately Prosepina has her caring and dutiful servants, the beautiful and cunning Hell's Belle's to assist her.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Lemon Pear Granita
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sweet white wine (preferably Italian)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 ripe pears, peeled seeded and halved
- 1/4 cup lemon-flavored liqueur (recommend Caravella Limoncello)
- mint, leaves to garnish
Pomegranate Strawberry Sorbetto
- 1To prepare Granita: Combine water, 1 cup wine and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add pears and simmer about 10 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
- 2Remove the pears from liquid and puree in a food processor until smooth. (Reserve the cooking liquid.) Transfer pears to mixing bowl. Add the cooking liquid, 1 cup wine and limoncello to the bowl. Mix well.
- 3Pour into a shallow baking pan that and place into freezer. Every hour scrape granita with fork to form coarse crystals and refreeze. Repeat process until ready to serve.
- 4In meantime, to prepare sorbet:
- 5Combine hulled and sliced strawberries, sugar and liqueur in medium bowl and stir to dissolve sugar. Cover bowl and let stand for an hour- stir a few times in between.
- 6Puree the strawberries in a blender or food processor and add lemon juice. Chill mixture, then proceed with freezing in an ice cream maker following manufacturer's instructions.
- 7To serve, place scoop of granita, garnished with mint leaves on one side of dessert bowl. Place scoop of sorbetto on other side of dessert bowl and garnish with pomegranate seeds. Splash both sides with Grappa and serve immediately to your unsuspecting victim.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Proserpina's Revenge by Hell's Belles (Granita and Sorbetto Duo)
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.2
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 55.6 g
- Protein 1.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: