Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
This is so yummy and easy and always gets praise. I like to have antipasti parties and this is always in the mix. Its also a great appetizer b4 a good grilled steak or even works as a main dish with a little risotto, pasta or polenta on the side and nice green salad. I have also used this same idea on shelled lobster tails :-) I have no clue where I first got his from, maybe a magazine? It really is essential that you use an herbed goat cheese or other herbed cheese. A plain cheese will not give you the same flavor (as one reviewer pointed out). If need be you can always add your own herbs and garlic to the cheese.
- 12 tablespoons herbed goat cheese or 12 tablespoons other soft cheese
- 12 large prawns, peeled, tail on, deveined and butterflied
- 6 slices prosciutto, cut in half lengthwise (di parma, san daniel, or reserva, or your favorite)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Press 1 Tbsp of the cheese into the cavity of each prawn.
- Wrap each tightly with a ½ slice of proscuitto.
- Start at the tail (do not wrap the tail shell) and spiral down to the head (or where it should be).
- In a saute pan heat oil over medium heat.
- When hot sear the wrapped prawns for 2-3 minute on each side or until they turn pink.
- They may also be placed under the broiler.
- If broiling dot with a little butter or oil on each side b4 placing under broiler.
- Serve hot or warm.
Was leary of this recipe due to a 2 star rating. I tried it as written and found this to be a flavorful and fairly easy recipe. These flavors work very well together and while I would not make this weekly due to cost concerns, I find it to be perfect for those nights when the kids are away and we just want some wine and nice mood food.
Sorry but we did not like this at all - perhaps we're just hooked onto garlicky style shrimp dishes. We did not care for the goats cheese - I didn't buy herbed and felt I could have saved money by using cream cheese. Our shrimp was the collossal size and withe high cost of goat cheese and proscuitto this was a very expensive dish with unsatisfactory results. I gave this two stars for the shrimp and the proscuito.