Recipe by Julesong
I saw Rachael Ray preparing these on "30 Minute Meals" recently, then found endive on sale at Trader Joe's… I have the rest of the ingredients at home, so I couldn't resist! :)
Top Review by Elly in Canada
Julesong!! This dish is DELICIOUS!! the balsamic/fig reduction is excellent. For a slight variation - I added a small piece of blue cheese under the prosciutto and wrapped tightly. Heavenly!!!
- 4 heads Belgian endive (or 2 heads endive and 2 small heads radicchio)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced prosciutto
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 2 dried figs, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the heads of endive, and quarter them lengthwise.
- Cut the sliced prosciutto in half on an angle across the center.
- Over medium-high temperature, heat a grill pan or large skillet.
- Season the prepared endive with salt and freshly ground pepper (I like tricolor peppercorns).
- Wrap each endive with a piece of sliced prosciutto, then brush each with the extra-virgin olive oil.
- Saute each on the grill pan or large skillet for 7 to 8 minutes, turning every couple of minutes, until the prosciutto is nicely crispy and the endive pieces are tender.
- While the vegetables and ham are cooking, begin the reduction sauce: place the chopped figs and vinegar into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer sauce for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the figs are soft and the vinegar is nicely thick and syrupy.
- When endives are done, place attractively on a serving dish and drizzle the fig and balsamic reduction over them.
- Serve and enjoy!