Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adding the tomato after the sandwich has cooked and cheese melted make this grilled cheese different. Its great not to have a mushy hot tomato in a grilled cheese. From Bon Appetit
- 4 slice sourdough bread, country loaf cut on deep diagonal 1/3 inch thick slices
- 4 slice prosciutto
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 8 slice asiago cheese, 1/4 inch (young or drained fresh mozzarella cheese)
- 1.23 ml crushed red pepper flakes (dried)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 6 slice tomatoes, 1/3 inch (from about 1 large)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Lightly butter 1 side of each bread slice.
- Top unbuttered side of 2 pieces with 2 proscuitto slices, then 4 basil leaves, then cheese slices.
- Sprinkle with salt and crushed red pepper. Top with remaining bread, buttered side up.
- Heat olive oil in an oven proof skillet over medium high. Cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 4 minutes.
- Turn sandwich over and transfer to the oven to bake until cheese is melted. Remove.
- carefully lift off top bread slices and insert 3 tomato slices into each, top again and serve.
I made this for lunch! We really enjoyed it;instead of tomato I put some Roasted red peppers and followed Redsie's idea; cooked it in Griddler. What can I say? YUM! I made this for 123 Thanks for posting, Sage/Rita
This is a delicious sandwich! As suggested by Redsie, I used my George Foreman grill and it came out so good! I love asiago cheese and the sourdough bread is perfect with these ingredients. Thanks for sharing!
Wow - this was delicious!! I grilled this on my George Foreman's grill and it turned out perfect!! Thanks MarraMamba!! :)