Recipe by MarraMamba
Adding the tomato after the sandwich has cooked and cheese melted make this grilled cheese different. Its great not to have a mushy hot tomato in a grilled cheese. From Bon Appetit
Top Review by Sageca
I made this for lunch! We really enjoyed it;instead of tomato I put some Roasted red peppers and followed Redsie's idea; cooked it in Griddler. What can I say? YUM! I made this for 123 Thanks for posting, Sage/Rita
- 4 slices sourdough bread, country loaf cut on deep diagonal 1/3 inch thick slices
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 8 slices asiago cheese, 1/4 inch (young or drained fresh mozzarella cheese)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (dried)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 slices tomatoes, 1/3 inch (from about 1 large)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Lightly butter 1 side of each bread slice.
- Top unbuttered side of 2 pieces with 2 proscuitto slices, then 4 basil leaves, then cheese slices.
- Sprinkle with salt and crushed red pepper. Top with remaining bread, buttered side up.
- Heat olive oil in an oven proof skillet over medium high. Cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 4 minutes.
- Turn sandwich over and transfer to the oven to bake until cheese is melted. Remove.
- carefully lift off top bread slices and insert 3 tomato slices into each, top again and serve.