Recipe by Redsie
I love pasta! And this recipe is wonderful. I adapted the recipe from BHG to add more vegetables. Hope you enjoy it as we did!
- 8 ounces packaged dried orecchiette or 8 ounces ziti pasta
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges or 5 medium leeks, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin wedges
- 10 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon anise seed, crushed
- 1 3⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 ounces prosciutto, cut into thin bite-size strips
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Drain pasta; rinse pasta with cold water. Drain again.
- In a large saucepan melt margarine or butter.
- Add onions or leeks, bell pepper, mushroms and garlic.
- Cover and cook about 5 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and aniseed.
- Add the milk and chicken broth all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Stir in the cooked pasta, spinach, and prosciutto.
- Spoon the mixture into a 2-quart casserole.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Let stand about 5 minutes.
- To serve, stir gently and top with chopped tomato.