Prep 2 hrs
Cook 5 mins
From Giada De Laurentiis, Everyday Italian. This is very easy and good. Great for dinner parties and BBQ's.
- 1 medium cantaloupe (about 3 pounds)
- 1 medium honeydew (about 3 pounds)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs thinly sliced prosciutto (about 36 slices)
- 2 bunches fresh chives, blanch 36 and save remaining for garnish
- Working with 1 melon at a time, cut in 1/2. Gently scrape out seeds and membrane and discard. Using a melon baller, scoop out rounds from flesh and place in large bowl. Discard skin.
- Keep the prosciutto loosely covered with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out as you start to assemble 1 purse at a time.
- Place 1 melon ball in the center of a prosciutto slice, gather all sides to the top and secure with a blanched chive.
- It may be necessary to overlap a few pieces of prosciutto in order to completely wrap the melon ball. Place finished purse, seam side down onto a baking sheet and keep covered.
- Repeat with remaining prosciutto and melons.
- Can make it only up to 2 hours ahead of time because the salt in the prosciutto will break down the melon.
- Scatter the chives onto a decorative platter. Place prosciutto purses on top and serve.