Recipe by Julie B's Hive
Found in a supermarket booklet, it's easy to prepare and impressive enough for guests. Originally from the Emilia-Romagna region in Northern Italy, these long, thin breadstick appetizers are another reason to keep frozen puff pastry on hand. The 60 minutes prep time includes thawing of frozen pastry dough and cooling time once baked. Can be made ahead and frozen.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
Delicious! When topping the pastry with the cheese, I also added 2 cloves of minced garlic and a generous sprinkling of oregano, all pressed into the pastry. I was worried about how the prosciutto was going to stay on the Grissini so I allowed the Grissini to cool for only about 10 minutes, wrapped the strips of prosciutto around the Grissini and returned them to the still warm oven for a couple of minutes so that the prosciutto warmed slightly (but did not dry out) and, in the process of warming, stuck to the Grissini. Just so wonderfully delicious. So much tastier than bought breadsticks. I'll be making these again. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Julie B's Hive. Made for PRMR.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese (Ferrari recommended)
- 4 slices prosciutto (Prosciutto de Parma recommended)
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw frozen puff pastry by bringing to room temperature, covered in plastic wrap, for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle a large cutting surface with flour. Place puff pastry sheet on top of prepared surface and carefully unfold, making a 9-10 inch square. Brush with beaten egg. Top with cheese and press into the pastry dough. Cut the square into 16 strips Place strips 1/2 inch apart and bake for 10 minutes, grissini should be lightly golden. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Cut each slice of prosciutto into four thin strips and wrap one diagonally around each breadstick. Serve immediately.
- FREEZING: Grissini can be frozen after the 15-minute cooling period. When ready to serve bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes if frozen and 2-3 minutes if thawed.