Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Recipe from TJ.
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles, cooked
- 8 ounces italian prosciutto, chopped (imported preferably)
- 4 -5 vine ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grated romano cheese
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb pork sausage
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves (minced or chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine, I have also used red (optional)
- 2 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh basil sprig (to garnish)
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions or until tender but still firm. Drain, keep warm.
- To make the lasagna sauce, in a large saucepan or cast iron skillet, over medium-high high heat, saute the garlic, onion and prosciutto in the olive oil for 4 minutes.
- Add the lean beef/pork sausage, oregano, a touch of black pepper and saute 10 minutes.
- Add the wine & Balsamic vinegar and cook until the wine is almost evaporated.
- Add tomatoes and basil, reduce heat and simmer sauce 35 to 40 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Grease a 9" x 12" or larger, baking pan.
- Arrange a first layer of lasagna noodles, a layer of the beef and prosciutto tomato sauce, cottage cheese, parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Add a second alternating layer of noodles, sauce and other ingredients.
- Repeat until pan is full ending up with a top layer of sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil.