Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
I got this recipe off of the Foodtv show "Everything Italian". Best with bread from a Crusty type whole loaf, but could be made with bought sliced bread, as long as it is a large slice bread.
- 6 ounces Fontina cheese, sliced into 8 slices
- 4 slices rustic white bread
- 1 small red onion, sliced paper thin
- 12 baby spinach leaves
- 4 slices paper thin prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat grill pan on Med-low on top of stove.
- Drizzle one side of two slices of the bread with 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil for each slice.
- Place the olive oil side down and on top of the plain side of the bread layer as follows.
- layer- 2 slices cheese 2nd.
- layer- paper thin slices of red onion 3rd.
- layer- 6 spinach leaves 4th.
- layer- Prosciutto 5th.
- layer- 2 slices cheese Top with remaining 2 slices of bread Drizzle the tops of the bread with the balance of the olive oil.
- Place sandwiches on the grill pan and press with grill press until as flat as possible.
- Cook until browned and crisp, about 4 min.
- per side.
- Serve fresh off the grill.
- This can also be grilled in a George Foreman type grill.
These were delicious! I used the cast iron skillet also. I may go buy a Foreman grill just to make these. I used a focaccia (sp?) loaf sliced in half. Made for Fall 2007 PAC.
A great sandwich Jellyqueen! I do not have a grill pan/press so used my cast iron skillet and squished the sandwich a few times using my spatula while it was cooking, it worked fine! LOL!