Recipe by alice Dave
Marked vegetarian because it tastes amazing even when you take out the Prosciutto. I LOVE THIS DISH. I have a series of recipes I got out of what I thought would be a useless magazine full of ho-hum recipes that I was given for free at the Check out stand at my local grocery store. The magazine is called "Dan's real food Spring 2008" Turns out, they are some of the best recipes I have ever come upon. This is one of those recipes. By the way, I made this one time on a camping trip inside a dutch oven and it just came out WONDERFULLY. Seriously, one of my favorite recipes ever.
- 18 slices firm white bread
- 8 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 4 ounces grated provolone cheese (mozzarella is fine too)
- 1⁄4 cup finely minced green onion
- 4 ounces fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup finely julienned basil
- 5 extra-large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (the recipe says Sriracha, but the system wouldn't let me type it in. I actually use Valentina.)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (salted is fined too. Preferred if not using prosciutto)
Directions See How It's Made
- You can assemble the night before so that the layers of bread, cheese and spinach soak up the egg-and-milk base, but it is not necessary.
- Remove crusts from bread. Spray an 11x7 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cover bottom of dish with layer of bread.
- Use half of the prosciutto to cover bread in an even layer. Sprinkle with half of the feta and half of the provolone. Sprinkle with half of the green onions, half spinach, and half basil.
- Repeat with second layer of bread and the remaining ingredients in the same order.
- Cut remaining bread into 1/4 inch cubes and scatter evenly on top.
- Beat together eggs, half-and-half, and hot sauce until well blended. Pour mixture over layers. Press down firmly with a spatula. Melt butter and drizzle over top.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 5 hours (optional).
- Preheat oven to 375 Farenheit. Uncover dish and bake until golden, about 1 hour.