1/2 Photos of Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Strata
1 hr 30 mins
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
This is great for brunch. Serve with fresh melon & berries. Recipe courtesy of my GF on the east coast and epicurious.com This will likely serve more than 6-9, depending on how large you cut the servings. Recipe can easily be halved in an 8x8 baking dish. Cooking time = bringing to room temperature before cooking & cooking time. Please note: The first time I made this, I sliced my bread thick and only had room in my baking dish for one layer, then I topped it with the cubed bread. It turned out beautifully. The 2nd time I made this, I had the bakery slice the bread and was able to fit 2 layers in the baking dish. I also topped the strata with Crispy Prosciutto - Baked and I have to say, that put this recipe over the top! Try it, you'll love it too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 18 slices ciabatta, firm bread necessary, crusts removed if desired and reserved for topping
- 6 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced, baked crispy Crispy Prosciutto - Baked before adding
- 8 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, grated equalling 1 1/2 cups, can use slices
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion, with green tops
- 6 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 -6 ounces prosciutto, crispy for topping
- 1Spray baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2Line bottom of 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish completely with 1 layer of bread, cutting some slices to fit.
- 3Arrange half of prosciutto evenly over bread. *Be sure to cut the prosciutto into strips or diced into squares. This will make it easier at serving time.
- 4Sprinkle half of goat cheese and half of provolone over bread.
- 5Sprinkle with half of green onions and half of basil.
- 6Top with second layer of bread, if using a 2nd layer.
- 7Layer remaining prosciutto, goat cheese, provolone, green onions, and basil atop bread.
- 8Cut remaining bread & crusts into 1/4-inch cubes. Sprinkle over top.
- 9Whisk eggs, milk, mustard, and salt in bowl. Season with pepper.
- 10Pour egg mixture over strata; press down on bread with spatula.
- 11Drizzle melted butter over strata.
- 12Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 13NEXT DAY.
- 14Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 15Uncover strata and let stand at room temperature 30 -60 minutes.
- 16Bake uncovered until center is set and top is brown, about 1 hour.
- 17Serve with crispy prosciutto if desired. Crispy Prosciutto - Baked.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Strata
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.0
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 17.5 g
- Cholesterol 221.3 mg
- Sodium 534.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 21.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: