Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is great for brunch. Serve with fresh melon & berries. Recipe courtesy of my GF on the east coast and epicurious.com This will likely serve more than 6-9, depending on how large you cut the servings. Recipe can easily be halved in an 8x8 baking dish. Cooking time = bringing to room temperature before cooking & cooking time. Please note: The first time I made this, I sliced my bread thick and only had room in my baking dish for one layer, then I topped it with the cubed bread. It turned out beautifully. The 2nd time I made this, I had the bakery slice the bread and was able to fit 2 layers in the baking dish. I also topped the strata with Crispy Prosciutto - Baked and I have to say, that put this recipe over the top! Try it, you'll love it too.
- 18 slices ciabatta, firm bread necessary, crusts removed if desired and reserved for topping
- 6 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced, baked crispy Crispy Prosciutto - Baked before adding
- 8 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, grated equalling 1 1/2 cups, can use slices
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion, with green tops
- 6 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 -6 ounces prosciutto, crispy for topping
- Spray baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Line bottom of 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish completely with 1 layer of bread, cutting some slices to fit.
- Arrange half of prosciutto evenly over bread. *Be sure to cut the prosciutto into strips or diced into squares. This will make it easier at serving time.
- Sprinkle half of goat cheese and half of provolone over bread.
- Sprinkle with half of green onions and half of basil.
- Top with second layer of bread, if using a 2nd layer.
- Layer remaining prosciutto, goat cheese, provolone, green onions, and basil atop bread.
- Cut remaining bread & crusts into 1/4-inch cubes. Sprinkle over top.
- Whisk eggs, milk, mustard, and salt in bowl. Season with pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over strata; press down on bread with spatula.
- Drizzle melted butter over strata.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- NEXT DAY.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover strata and let stand at room temperature 30 -60 minutes.
- Bake uncovered until center is set and top is brown, about 1 hour.
- Serve with crispy prosciutto if desired. Recipe #496356.