Recipe by stormylee
Subtly spiced yet very flavourful soup with lentils and spinach - one of my favourite lentil dishes! Recipe comes from Anna Bergenström's Nya Anna's Mat cookbook.
Top Review by Susie D
Lovely flavors in this quick to make soup. It tastes far exceed the effort involved. Great combination of ingredients & the lemon finishes things wonderfully. Served with recipe #440713 for Spring 2012 Pick A Chef.
- 200 ml red lentils
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter or 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 1 cm piece cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 (200 g) can diced tomatoes
- 125 g frozen spinach, thawed and chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- chopped fresh parsley
- fresh lemon juice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse dry lentils well. Measure 900-1000 ml water into a saucepan, add lentils and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are mushy. (They will not absorb all the water: do not drain!).
- Heat butter or oil in a skillet and cook onions and garlic until softened and lightly browned. Add all spices and stir. Add canned, diced tomatoes and let the mixture simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until spinach is softened. Remove from heat; remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
- Combine cooked lentils (with liquid) and the onion-spinach mixture. Add salt to taste, chopped fresh parsley, and stir well to combine.
- Serve hot, with lemon wedges, so each eater can squeeze some juice on the soup if they like!