Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Subtly spiced yet very flavourful soup with lentils and spinach - one of my favourite lentil dishes! Recipe comes from Anna Bergenström's Nya Anna's Mat cookbook.
- 200 ml red lentils
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter or 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 1 cm piece cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 (200 g) can diced tomatoes
- 125 g frozen spinach, thawed and chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- chopped fresh parsley
- fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Rinse dry lentils well. Measure 900-1000 ml water into a saucepan, add lentils and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are mushy. (They will not absorb all the water: do not drain!).
- Heat butter or oil in a skillet and cook onions and garlic until softened and lightly browned. Add all spices and stir. Add canned, diced tomatoes and let the mixture simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until spinach is softened. Remove from heat; remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
- Combine cooked lentils (with liquid) and the onion-spinach mixture. Add salt to taste, chopped fresh parsley, and stir well to combine.
- Serve hot, with lemon wedges, so each eater can squeeze some juice on the soup if they like!
Lovely flavors in this quick to make soup. It tastes far exceed the effort involved. Great combination of ingredients & the lemon finishes things wonderfully. Served with Honey Cornbread Muffins-The Neely's for Spring 2012 Pick A Chef.
Cinammon gave a nice twist to the flavour. Spinach together with lentils was a tasteful combination. This kind of soup you can eat more than one plateful without worrying too much about the calories ;-)
I love lentils and spinach and I love spice--this is right up my alley, Stormy! I love the combination of spices and and onion and garlic--and the touch of lemon at the end is just right.