Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have slimmed down the original version of this meal. It is now leaner, but still delicious and fairly fast to make for the mom on the go!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄3 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic in oil 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer.
- Between sheets of waxed paper, flatten chicken to ¼ inch thickness. In shallow dish, mix bread crumbs and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken into egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
- In a non-stick 12 inch skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Cook chicken in oil 10-15 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink in center.
- Pour tomato sauce around chicken in skillet. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over chicken cover and heat until melted. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese just before serving.
This is a great recipe! Loved it!! I added Italian seasoning to the sauce and I covered my chicken to ensure it would cook fully and retain its moisture. I was afraid that the chicken would not have enough flavor bc it was not a thick covering of bread crumbs etc on the chicken but it was actually scrumptuous!