Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar, plus
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
- 3⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (such as Nutella)
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, toasted,husked,chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a heavy large baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- Combine the water, butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar, and salt in a heavy medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until the butter melts.
- Add the flour and stir over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Crack 2 eggs into a measuring cup.
- Use a wooden spoon to beat the eggs into the dough, 1 at a time.
- Spoon 10 or 12 (1 1/2-inch) mounds of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl to blend.
- Gently brush the egg over the dough mounds (do not drip the egg onto the baking sheet).
- Bake the pastries until they are amber brown, about 50 minutes.
- Allow the pastries to cool completely.
- Mix the mascarpone, ricotta, vanilla, and remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar in a medium bowl.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the tops off the pastry and set aside.
- Spoon the mascarpone mixture into the pastries and top with its lid.
- Combine the chocolate-hazelnut spread and cream in a small bowl.
- Heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds until warm.
- Stir the mixture.
- Spoon the chocolate-hazelnut sauce atop the pastries.
- Sprinkle with the hazelnuts and serve.