Recipe by superblondieno2
This is a recipe, I was quite sure what it was before I made it, but it turned out to be very similar to apple crisp. However the raisins are a very nice addition and the crisp is mixed in, not on top. It goes well with icecream or can be reheated by itself for breakfast. *I only used half of the butter recommended and it turned out just fine*
Top Review by sprue
this was pretty good but a little boring and not much 'crisp' to it at all, more like baked bran apples. i added walnuts and didnt use any butter and it still baked up nicely if i make again i will add some vanilla and maybe some more spices (nutmeg, cloves..ect) but it was a fun and healthy way to use up some apples that were going soft, i used gala and ate it with whipped topping for breakfast!
- 6 -8 apples, peeled and sliced (Granny smith or Pippin work best because they are tart)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
- hot water
- 2 cups all-bran cereal or 2 cups shredded wheat cereal
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine the sliced apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl soak the raisins until plump in hot water to cover. Drain and discard the water.
- Add the raisins and bran cereal to the apple mixture. Add the melted butter and mix.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered shallow baking dish, and pour the orange juice over all. Dot with butter.
- Cover the pan with foil. Bake at 400° for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake until brown on top, about 15 minutes.