Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I needed an icing to use to make my daughters castle cake. While in Farmer Jack, the woman at the register ahead of me talked about how she decorates cakes. So I took that as my opportunity to ask her what recipe she uses for icing and this is what she gave me. I got lots of raving reviews. This hardens up like the cakes in meijer, etc.... and it's not too sweet.
- 1 lb sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 1 cup Crisco
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine the shortening, water and vanilla. This will take some time to mix up but it will eventually.
- Add the meringue powder and powdered sugar.
- Mix well - beat for about 3 minutes
- If this is way too stiff you can add a little water at a time. Just remember you want this to be a little thick so you can spread it.
I use this recipes all the time. Like the other reivewer, I also took a Wilton class and used the exact recipe! It worked great and tastes also tastes very good!(By the way, meringue powder can be found in the Wilton isle at Michaels
This is wonderful, it is a little different from the normal decorator's icing that I make but well worth trying.