Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the best recipe for taste, presentation and easy for decorating, borders, cupcakes, cakes and such! This yields A LOT!! This works very well with KitchenAids mixers that really make a difference in outcome of frosting! If needed, add a little milk or water to thin out but KA's help, really don't need it. Very stable and can withstand room temp!!
- In a large bowl (or KA Mixer) cream together shortening and butter.
- Stop and scrape down, start again till creamy.
- Add cut-up cream cheese and cream again, scraping down sides till fluffy on high.
- Add vanilla extract and blend.
- Add at time confectioner's sugar, starting on low speed as to not spray sugar all over, then increase speed till blended each time and scrape down each time.
- You may add salt if you need to.
- Turn on high speed for 15 minutes to make frosting blended, smooth and fluffy.
- Also you may have to chill frosting after completed.
I was looking for a good buttercream that wasn't too sweet, and this is it! I had 3 oz. of cream cheese, so I sized this recipe down to use that, and had enough frosting to cover 12 chocolate cup cakes perfectly. This has great taste, and holds up well. It is great for decorating! I really like how well it came together after a good beating in my stand mixer, and I loved that I could wash up some dishes while this was whipping away (with just a quick scrape down every so often). Thanks for posting, I think I'll use this for decorating my kids' birthday cakes!
I made this frosting this evening and the taste and texture was good. I did not use all 4lbs of powdered sugar as I didn't want the frosting to be super sweet. Definitely use at least three pounds because the texture of the frosting gets thicker and easier to ice with the more you add. I will definitely be using this recipe again!
I am giving it less stars because it wasn't what I was expecting. It was good, just not what I was hoping for. It tasted to me kind of like marshmallows.
I did however add some peanut butter, espresso powder, and baileys to some of the recipe and topped some chocolate espresso cupcakes with it. SOOOOO GOOOOOD!!!!!