Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
While looking for ideas for pea recipes, I came up with this. I asked my hubby to critique it and he said it was quite tasty. The name of this dish, Proba, is an acronym for its ingredients: Peppers, Rice, Onions, Bacon and Almonds.
- 1⁄4 cup basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 3 slices bacon (streaky in UK)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (if needed)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 4 tablespoons cream (single in UK)
- salt and pepper
- Toast rice in dry cast iron pan until lighty golden, shaking pan occasionally, about 5-7 minutes. Remove and set aside. Toast almonds in same manner and set aside.
- Cook bacon in same pan until very crisp. Remove to cool and then crumble; set aside.
- Saute onions, peppers and garlic until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Add rice, stir and add broth. Cook 5 minutes. Add peas and cook 5-8 minutes.
- Add cream and stir. Let simmer to allow liquid to evaporate and for mixture to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with bacon and almonds sprinkled on top.